In early March I was part of the faculty at the first CUE Rockstar of the year in Roseville, CA. I have participated in CUE Rockstars over the past three years and it was a pleasure to be asked to be part of this Rockstar which was just here in my backyard.
This PD event was the first time for me to present on this subject, Google Photos. I was jazzed because Google's entry into photo management has changed my life!
This post then will both give you my "Top 7 Reasons To Start Using Google Photos" plus my presentation from this PD event.
Here are 7 Reasons which will make Google Photos your go to place for all your images. Yes that means goodbye to that crappy Camera Roll or iPhoto on those iPhones people (sorry, couldn't help but taking a shot at Apple!)
1) Unlimited Storage. Well, how about Unlimited(ish) storage. What this means is that Google will host all your photos and videos at a HIGH quality but not your ORIGINAL quality. This is fine for all my cell phone pics but for my nice Nikon pics I take I am saving those to my computer hard drive still so as to keep the original resolution
2) Sharing. Finally!!! An easy way to share multiple photos & videos. It is SO SIMPLE. All you do is highlight the ones you one and click SHARE. You are given a simple web link that can text, email, Vox, or whatever!
3) Auto-Upload. For most people all the data on your phone is backed up to the cloud without you doing anything. Just think... where are your emails, contacts, calendar, etc? They are in the cloud. (oh, btw... I'll do a post later about what the CLOUD really is. I'ts pretty eye opening to most people to actually take a peek and try to understand what data centers and the "cloud" really is). Your photos are usually the ONLY thing on your phone not backed up. Well, Google Photos changes that. Every time you are on WiFi, you photos are uploaded - thus making your phone disposable (note to readers... DO NOT GO OUT AND DESTROY YOUR PHONES NOW!)
4) Search. Now this is an amazing, but for some, kind of creepy feature. Google searches your images to help you manage them better. Here is their description about this:
"Google Photos relies more heavily on search than a traditional folder system to organize photos, and there are a number of useful operators that can help you sift through your pictures in seconds. You can identify images based on location, subject, people, and even by camera type."
What this means is that you can search your photos by PEOPLE, PLACE and THINGS. Just think of the possibilities. Do want to see every image you have of one of your friends? Just click on their photo and BAM there they are. Then, check this out... select ALL these images and click SHARE. Now you can easy pass on ALL these images of someone in under 60 seconds. Oh... its gets cooler / creepier. Try searching for items like Dogs, Beaches, Cars, and so many more. Here is one I did for beer:
Oh and thank you all for judging me as a huge beer drinker. Fine! Guess what... I love Coors Light.... mmmm Rocky Mountain goodness.
5) Any Time, Any Where. Since these are in the cloud then you can access all your photos from ALL your devices - phones, tablets, and computers. Oh... here's some else to think of - try uploading all your OLD photos too. I know you got those folders of all your past cell phones and pictures from digital cameras from ages past, grab all them and upload baby! Because, remember #1 Unlimited Storage.
6) Assistant. You do NOTHING! You Just wait and the little genie inside Google Photos will make stuff for. What is Stuff? Well that is what #7 is
The KILLER part of the Google Photos has to be the COLLECTIONS. These are the collection of mutli-media experiences all created from your photos. They include:
The Assistant I mentioned on #6 will make some of these for you but you can create your own. Cool videos, collages and more. These are the best way to actually DO SOMETHING with the pictures you take. Oh... and remember #2, Sharing... yep. These collections are easily shared to anyone you want.
Here are a couple of my Collections:
This is a STORY. Which are pictures, videos & maps of the places you went for a certain period of time. This one was from a Volleyball tournament with my daughter's team to Denver
This is a MOVIE - which is a video made from your pictures and videos and all put to a soundtrack of music from Google so you're not breaking any copyright law! This one was from the recent CUE Rockstar Roseville